It started as the desire to complete just one 10K to say I did it. A few weeks into my training, a relationship came to an end and I lost my job. Those training runs quickly became my best friends as I sorted through the losses and uncertainty. Now, more than 4 years, training for 5 half marathons, and one knee surgery later, the challenges I have taken on in running have helped me understand that I can take on, and conquer, whatever lies in my path ahead.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Night Running

Sunday night

After half an hour glued to the online radar map, I finally ventured out for my 8 miles. I most definitely didn't want to do it.

Since I rarely run with music, I decided tunes where what I needed to get me going. The first 5 miles were an easy pace and felt good. My mileage has been way off and I've missed 2 long runs, so this was a nice surprise. Mile 6 was fully dark and I was struggling with my footing a bit, but it kept my mind off the first of 3 long hills on the route home.

Miles 7-8 were hard and wonderful. Hard because my glutes started feeling tight, my bothersome hip bothered, and it became more hard work. Wonderful because I turned off the mp3 and soaked in the sounds of tree frogs and cicadas (and cars and trains - it is the city). Strange that once I started listening, I could also smell the sweet blossoms. Nothing like a steamy Georgia night after a summer thunderstorm.

Running this late means I won't feel like eating anything much, until about 3 a.m., and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna ache like hell in the morning. Everything on me, including my hair, could have sweat wrung out of it. But I wouldn't trade it for anything but homemade peach ice cream or maybe a cold beer.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Nice run Karen! I've said it before and I'll say it again...I don't know how you manage to run in that hot GA weather all the time. I feel like the humidity here in Cleveland is bad...I think I'd die if I was forced to deal with how bad yours must be ☺

Love the blog-glad you started it. And btw, that picture is gorgeous...I never knew you traveled there!