It started as the desire to complete just one 10K to say I did it. A few weeks into my training, a relationship came to an end and I lost my job. Those training runs quickly became my best friends as I sorted through the losses and uncertainty. Now, more than 4 years, training for 5 half marathons, and one knee surgery later, the challenges I have taken on in running have helped me understand that I can take on, and conquer, whatever lies in my path ahead.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

the first mile

Yesterday I did my first jog post-op. I had tried one run on the treadmill before my surgery. In fact, it was the cramping and pain after half a mile that led to me deciding to have the surgery after all.

Yesterday's run was much better. Did a mile on the elliptical and stretched to warm up. Then hopped on the treadmill. Definitely this will take humility. I started very slowly and worked up the speed, but ended up with a blazing 13:20 mile. The good news was that I could have kept going. My new life is going to involve ice and ibuprofen (multiples of both) after my runs, at least for now. But that can't put a damper on the great feeling of finally moving forward.

I'm looking forward to sending my great doc and physical therapist some pictures of me finishing a race.

2 comments:

Viv said...

That is great that you felt you could continue! I am sure you will be sending race pics sooner than later :)
Ice and Ibu I have never heard of that...yea right

DoriAnn said...

Did you send your doc and therapist the race pics yet? You did awesome. Hope you're soon weaned off of the ice and pain killer.